Sunday, February 1, 2009


#2
My Days without the Phone
For about a week (168 hours) I went phoneless. Two of those days were intentional, but the rest of the week was because of a tragic phone breakdown. Either way, it was extremely difficult for about three days. During the three day hump when I was phoneless, I experienced hallucinations, depression, and the feeling of being ostracized. After school on the first day, it was fine because I was busy with rehearsal; but once I got out of rehearsal I had no idea where anyone was. I couldn’t call or text anyone to find out where they were, so I just ended up going to my room. Needless to say, I felt like a loser. The absolute worst thing about not having a cell phone is wanting to call and communicate with someone and not being able to. The world is getting so small yet everyone is so spread out and in their own worlds. Even at the School of the Arts when we all live together, people get so consumed in things and you can’t find anyone anywhere. Along with the solitude, there also were times when I would feel a tremor in my leg and would dive into my pocket thinking that it was a vibration from my phone. Every time that this would happen, I felt like I was going crazy. Though winter term is an inconvenient time to not have a phone, regardless this was very hard for me to do.

2 comments:

  1. This was a great lab. Living with out your phone for 168 hours in a hard task... I know from experience I didn't have a phone all summer and it was hard. But... I felt that Caleb was a bit dramatic with response to this lab. But it will teach you a lot about dependence on technology. :) goooooood jobbbbbbb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your analysis of your turmoil!!
    Could you live without the phone again????

    ReplyDelete